Just wasted a lot of time on the phone with these people who promise a $100 gift card at one of several stores (Target, Walmart, etc.) for being a good customer. Already sounds suspicious. They call themselves Smart Shoppers. The cost is $4.95 for shipping (a gift card could be emailed for free).

I asked for info re: the company, a website to look at, to talk to a supervisor, etc. and got nothing. Either you give them your CC info or forget it. They called me but did not have my name or address. There is no logic to what they are doing except to get their hands on your CC information and name and address.

They played a series of offers that were recorded that I could have said "yes" to--mostly questions about having taken prescription drugs with negative outcomes. They could have a ambulance chasing lawyers as clients. I said "no" to all offers because they did not apply. This is the only possible legitimacy I can see to their call.

There has to be a reason they persist after all my no responses.

I asked for their phone number, address, location (was told Phoenix).

Beware.

Tazi280 wrote the review because of "scam" at Smart Shoppers. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Smart Shoppers to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

The most disappointing in user's experience was lack of willingness of marketer, rude marketer, felt scammed and preyed on elderly. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Smart Shoppers and smart shoppers deal for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Comments

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States #1333839

This sounds very similar to what just happened with me. I missed a call from Memphis, TN and got this $100 gift card offer plus $50 bonus dining voucher when I called it back.

The person who picked up had the stereotypical Indian accent with the sounds of a busy call center in the background, and of course wanted all the usual information to receive them - name, address, and Visa number to cover the $4.95 shipping.

I asked if I could mail them a check for it, and to no surprise the answer was credit card only.

After a lengthy question and answer session, I got a 'supervisor,' Jenny, who provided the Smart Shopper name, a phone number, and assurances that I could verify with my bank that there will be a one-time charge I will see, then nothing further. There is a digital shopping program they want to mail to me with the vouchers for browsing, but she said participation is not necessary.

I can see the purpose of free gift cards in exchange for advertising this shopping product, in the hopes of participation. The way they go about it is suspicious and offers only words and phrases such as 'safe and secure,' 'verified by the Better Business Bureau,' and 'data security act' (which records your information but, according to Jenny, will be 'deleted immediately'). My information was given, then Jenny directed me to an automatic recording to give it all again, in addition to saying 'yes' and 'I understand' after a quick-talking spouting of terms and conditions.

I hesitated several times, Jenny came back on and did her best to assuade my doubts. I declined to give my birth date and email, which they were fine with.

I don't know. I've seen similar things work before with the advertising-for-gift-cards (RewardZone USA for example), but have also been scammed (i.e. Click My Score.com).

I will call my bank, let them know what's up, and monitor my Visa for the next few weeks to make sure they hold true to their word.

If they do and the $150 is legit, it's well worth the effort to me, I need it. Either way I will update with the results.

Bozeman, Montana, United States #1219745

Do not give them your credit card number (after a series of questions about receiving a $100 gift card.